So lately I’ve prepared my self an hackintosh friendly USB Lion installation media - stuffed with EDP kick start files and a copy of EDP 2.2. Crossed my fingers and booted from the pen-drive. Turned out that the installer booted with no problem, the only small disadvantage was that the keyboard and mouse was not recognized. The USB keyboard and mouse came in handy at that point. I’ve wiped all data using Disk Utilities and installed Lion. After installation, once again, I’ve booted from the USB media choosing freshly installed system this time. And here it was almost perfect Lion working on D630 X3100. Why almost perfect? There was no sound, wifi, ethernet and touchpad, but with the minimal kickstart kexts, this was a normal thing. I’ve installed EDP 2.2 from the pen-drive. Installed Chameleon and Configured it for D630 X3100. Restarted and booted, this time from the HDD and voila. Sound, Ethernet and Touchpad worked. To be honest I was disappointed that the wifi was not working from the start this meant that my Dell 1395 injection in dsdt was no good for Lion, what later turned out that Apple dropped the support for Broadcome 4315 chip, at least the way it was supported in Snow Leopard. Didn’t have time to play with it to long I’ve decided to replace the IO80211Familly.kext with the one from Snow Leopard and edited it to include more device id’s. After rebooting, the wifi was recognized and working perfectly. At that point I thought that the system was fully operational to later find out that the OpenGL was extremely sloooow. The Lion GUI was performing OK, but accelerated content was extremely choppy not to mention watching FullHD video content in 11fps was not an option for me. Again, I knew from Snow Leopard that GMA X3100 can do much better than that, so I’ve replaced Lion’s AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext with the one from SL and could report 24-29fps in 1080p Live-TV streams over wifi and 28fps in Xbench OpenGL test.
So Dell Latitude D630 with Intel GMA X3100 turned out to be an excellent Lion Hackintosh, good enough for every day use.
Short recap of steps taken:
- Prepare Lion USB Install pen-drive (don't waste your time doing it by hand like I did - use myHack method)
- download and copy all necessary files on Lion USB Install pen-drive (Kick start Extra folder, Chameleon, EDP 2.2, Kext's)
- Install and configure Lion
- Install Chameleon-2.1svn-r1791.pkg and EDP 2.2.pkg
- run edptool.command from /Extra and configure EDP for D630 X3100 (answers: 1 - 6 -1 - n - y)
- replace org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in /Extra/ with the one's from this post
- reboot and use your Ethernet to update system to 10.7.2 or if You have a combo update install it and reboot.
- replace IO80211Family.kext and AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/
Update: Users with X3100 @ 1440x900 use DSDT from this post.